Skills Maintenance 2021-22
We have just over two weeks to have everyone signed off - theory, dry and wet and we have massive gaps across our patrolling member base that need to be completed for them to be able to patrol and compete.
Additional dates to complete proficiencies have been extended to the below list:
FINAL DRY AND WET TIMESLOTS BELOW: PS: SURFGUARD WILL AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE A MEMBER FROM THE PATROL LIST WHO IS NOT MARKED PROFICIENT BY THE END OF THE MONTH.
SUNDAY 5th DECEMBER: WET AND DRY: 8.30am in the clubhouse for dry followed by wet (run, swim, run and rescue)
TUESDAY 7th DECEMBER: DRY ONLY: 6.30pm in the clubhouse
TUESDAY 14th DECEMBER: DRY ONLY: 6.30pm in the clubhouse
SATURDAY 18th DECEMBER: TWO SESSIONS WET AND DRY AM and PM: 8.30am or 2.00pm in the clubhouse followed by wet (run, swim, run and rescue)
(If you have an ARTC member that you know has not done proficiency then they need to turn up 1 hour before the above dry times on the SUNDAY's ONLY)
If you are unsure about whether you need to complete your proficiency, please contact your Patrol Captain.
Any questions let me know
Members are required to complete the annual skills maintenance online component. There are 2 online skills maintenance courses that need to be completed.
- Skills Maintenance Theory 2021/22 which has 2 components.
- Skills Maintenance 2021/22 Radio Operations
Please logon to the members portal sls.com.au and head the the elearning section where you may need to enrol in both courses. To enrol, head to the ‘Training Library’ Tab where both course can be found under Skills Maintenance and then complete them in the ‘My Training’ section of the elearning platform. It may take you straight to the course automatically when you enrol !
If a member is unable to complete this component online, they should speak with their club training officer. The online components will be required for SLSA awards this season.
- The Online Component must be completed in full before doing your Practical Component.
- The online components will be required for SLSA awards this season
- Surf Rescue Certificate
- Bronze Medallion
- IRB Crew and Driver
- If you are an IRB Driver or Crew, both your Online & Run Swim Run components of the Bronze Medallion skills maintenance must be completed before doing your IRB Proficiency
- ARTC – you must have at least completed your Bronze Online Component before doing your ARTC Proficiency
Please click on the link below for instruction on how to access Online Skills Maintenance
The information below outlines the practical requirements of each SLSA award for skills maintenance.
Aquatic Rescue Awards Pathway
Bronze Medallion (BM) and Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC)
1. Run-Swim-Run (timed)
- SRC—Unaided: 100 m Run-100 m Swim-100 m Run in 5 minutes or less *
- BM—Unaided: 200 m Run-200 m Swim-200 m Run in 8 minutes or less *Note * The run distance to be taken from waist deep water, e.g., the run is from a flag, around a marker and to waist deep water, the aquatic components are from waist deep water around two swimming buoys and back to waist deep water
• Reasonable adjustment may be made for surf conditions on the day.
2. Board or Tube Rescue
Please note, that due to Covid restrictions, there will not be a requirement for a patient pickup/rescue. It will simply be a paddle out on a board or swim out with a tube.
- Demonstrate a rescue using a rescue tube (and swim fins if available); or
- Demonstrate a solo paddle on a rescue board out beyond the break (at least 100m from shore) and return – distance to be taken from waist deep water.
The demonstration must include the following:
- Adherence to SLSA operating procedures in the current SLSA Public Safety and Aquatic Rescue training manual
- Negotiating the surf zone
- Securing the victim, signalling for assistance and returning to shore (for tube rescue)