A big move to a pre-Xmas date for this event: now on Sunday (used to be a Saturday), December 15. This is a big change, and it means that, as you train for the 3 Points Challenge at North Curl Curl on December 7, you will also be training for the Chieftain Challenge two weeks later. Why waste all that training on just one event? Especially when the second event is as interesting as this one.
The Chieftain Challenge also now is open to teams as well as solos, so you can get your cobbers together for a pre-Xmas hit out. And, $250 cash for the first Male and Female to cross the line.
This event combines beach running and swimming from Bongin Bongin Bay to Warriewood. There are four swim legs and three runs along the way. There are a few soft sand runs available from surf clubs around Sydney, but there is only one other event like this one on the calendar: the 3 Points Challenge run by North Curl Curl SLSC. Much of the running at that event, though, is along hard paths. The Chieftain Challenge is different, in that all the runs are along the sand of one long beach, so you don’t need running shoes.
Total swim distance is 1.9km broken into four legs, interspersed with three runs totalling 1.5km ending with a 50m sprint up the beach to the line.
What you need to know…
- Event: Chieftain Challenge (Mona Vale to Warriewood Swim/Run)
- Organiser: Warriewood SLSC
- Date, start time: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:30am
- Race day registration: Northern end Mona Vale beach car park reserve. 8:30-10am. NB: Registration closure and event start times willbe adhered to strictly. Avoid disappointment: Please don’t be late.
- Distance: (Approx.)
- 600m swim
- 400m run
- 300m swim
- 800m run
- 800m swim
- 300m run
- 200m swim
- 50m sprint to the line
- Entry fee: $45 solos ($50 on swim day) or $90 per team (up to four members) (or $100 on race day – Maximum 300 entries). Entry fees include chip timing, fluoro swim cap, and a Chieftain Trucker cap.
- Online entries close – 3pm, Saturday, December 14, 2019 (NB: Online entries will not open until much closer to swim day.)
- Cash prizes – $250 for first male and female to cross the line.
- Course: The Chieftain Challenge is a series of short, sharp swim and run legs starting at Mona Vale Basin and finishing at Warriewood Surf Life Saving Club. All sand running, no shoes required.
- Minimum age: 12
- Swim caps provided – SLSA approved fluoro colours
- Team entries – Teams can be of up to four team members. Team manager first must enter the team online (links above and below), then submit a list of up to four team members. To submit your team list, please use the entry portal but select the option for Relay Team.
- Under 18 entrants – All entries of entrants under the age of 18 must be managed by a responsible parent or guardian. Parent/guardian must leave their full name and mobile phone number in the Emergency contact field of the online entry form at the time of entry, to indicate their consent to the entry. Entries of swimmers aged under 18 that are not accompanied by these details will not be accepted. NB: Entries of entrants aged under 18 must use then email address of the responsible parent/guardian, not that of the under-age entrant.
- Transport – Gear transport will be provided to take competitors’ gear from Mona Vale to the finish at Warriewood. A bus will be provided to take entrants back to Mona Vale after the event.